WANT A BRIGHTER SMILE? WHEN IT COMES TO TOOTH-WHITENING, YOU’VE GOT TWO OPTIONS: IN-OFFICE-BASED TEETH BLEACHING, OR AT-HOME CARE.
Both tooth-whitening options use peroxide-based bleaching agents. At-home systems contain from 3% to 20% peroxide (carbamide or hydrogen peroxides). In-office systems contain from 15% to 43% peroxide.
Generally, the longer you keep a stronger solution on your teeth, the whiter your teeth become. However, the higher the percentage of peroxide in the whitening solution, the shorter it should be applied to the teeth. Keeping the gel on longer will dehydrate the tooth and increase tooth sensitivity.
FACTS ABOUT TEETH WHITENING
- Teeth whitening does not damage your teeth.
- The key to teeth whitening is the delivery device.
- Sensitivity after teeth whitening is normal.
- Laser or UV light teeth whitening is temporary.
- Stains on teeth cannot be removed overnight.
- The best time to whiten your teeth is just before bed.
- Not everyone’s teeth can be perfectly white.
- Caps and veneers cannot be whitened.
The peroxide being the active ingredient breaks down and releases highly reactive “free radicals.” These molecules react with and break down the colored compounds that have become entrapped in a tooth’s enamel. Since the byproducts that result are colorless, the tooth receives a lightening effect. While it may take a low-concentration whitener more individual treatments to deliver the same total number of free radicals, either a low or high concentration product will create the same whitening end point.
Since hydrogen peroxide produces free radicals quickly and become depleted fairly rapidly too (some gels become 50% depleted whitening 30 minutes), they’re best suited for short-duration sessions like those performed during the day when the duties of life can easily interfere with a person’s plans. The slower, more sustained, release of free radicals by carbamide peroxide whiteners makes them better suited for longer treatments, such as those performed overnight. (Some carbamide peroxide gels claim effectiveness up to 8 hours after application.)
READY-TO-GO WHITENING TRAYS
Opalescence Go is the perfect option for patients who are looking for convenient, ready-to-go whitening. A professional whitening gel delivered in prefilled, disposable trays, Opalescence Go features the enhanced UltraFit™ tray and can deliver dramatic results in as little as 15 minutes per day. The UltraFit tray sets Opalescence Go apart with its unique material that warms with the temperature of the body so that it comfortably molds and adapts to any patient’s smile for an even more effective and enjoyable whitening experience.
With no impressions, models, or lab time required, Opalescence Go is the professional alternative to less-effective over-the-counter options and is an excellent introduction to whitening as well as a perfect follow-up to in-office whitening.
TAKE-HOME WHITENING KITS
Tray-based tooth bleaching systems are a popular and effective method for achieving a brighter, whiter smile. This cosmetic dental procedure involves the use of custom-fitted trays that are filled with a bleaching gel and worn over the teeth. The gel contains a peroxide-based solution that breaks down stains and discoloration on the tooth enamel, resulting in a lighter and more vibrant appearance.
Benefits of Tray-Based Tooth Bleaching:
- Customization: Custom-fitted trays ensure even distribution of the bleaching gel and minimize gum irritation.
- Convenience: Tray-based systems allow you to whiten your teeth in the comfort of your own home, according to your schedule.
- Gradual Results: The gradual whitening process helps minimize tooth sensitivity and provides natural-looking results.
- Control: You have control over the degree of whitening, allowing you to achieve the level of brightness you desire.
- Safety: Tray-based systems are generally considered safe and effective when used as directed by a dentist.
IN-OFFICE TOOTH WHITENING
In-office professional whitening, with light or without light, is clinically proven to whiten teeth up to eight shades in 45 minutes. With clinically superior results and efficacy versus other professional whitening alternatives, Affinity Whitening is one of the fastest ways to create brighter, healthier smiles that patients will want to show off. When combined with the pH booster in the whitening gel, Affinity’s advanced blue LED light-activated technology greatly accelerates the whitening process, delivering dramatic results your patients will love in just one office visit.
Here are some advantages of Professional Office Whitening:
1. Speed and Immediate Results: One of the most significant advantages of Zoom whitening is its speed. The procedure is performed in a single dental visit and typically takes about 1-2 hours. You can walk out of the dental office with noticeably whiter teeth immediately after the treatment. In contrast, take-home bleaching trays require consistent use over a period of days or weeks to achieve similar results.
2. Professional Supervision: Zoom whitening is performed under the supervision of a trained dental professional. This ensures that the procedure is carried out safely and effectively, minimizing the risk of over-application or gum irritation.
3. Controlled Application: The Zoom whitening gel is carefully applied to your teeth by the dentist or a dental assistant. The dentist can control the application and intensity of the light to optimize the results for your specific teeth and preferences.
4. Intense Whitening Power: The combination of the Zoom whitening gel and the specialized light used during the procedure can lead to more dramatic and immediate whitening results compared to take-home bleaching trays.
5. Convenience and Efficiency: Zoom whitening offers convenience in terms of time. If you’re looking for a quick improvement in your smile’s appearance for a special event or occasion, Zoom whitening can deliver that result in a single appointment.
6. Minimal Time Commitment: Take-home bleaching trays require consistent use over several days or weeks, which may be a commitment that some individuals find challenging. Zoom whitening, on the other hand, offers immediate results without an extended time investment.
7. Professional Monitoring: During a Zoom whitening session, the dental professional can monitor your comfort level and adjust the procedure if needed. This personalized attention helps ensure a positive experience.
8. Reduced Sensitivity Risk: In-office Zoom whitening often involves a desensitizing gel that can help reduce tooth sensitivity, which is sometimes associated with teeth whitening procedures.
9. Long-Lasting Results: While the longevity of teeth whitening results can vary based on lifestyle factors, Zoom whitening can provide long-lasting effects when paired with good oral hygiene and maintenance.